The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders (Princess Louise's)

'Sans Peur'       Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders red and white dicing       'Ne Obliviscaris'

History - 1900 to 1920
1st Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Click for details of all Battalions formed during WW1





1909MaltaMediterranean Sea 
1911MaltaImtarfa Imtarfa Barracks
17 to 18 March Battalion Highland Games at Imtarfa.
1 April Captain J. C. Scott succeeded Captain G. A. McL. Sceales as Adjutant.
13 April The Battalion trooped the King's Colour on Floriana parade-ground in front of Sir Leslie Rundle. Major A. F. Mackenzie, M.V.0., of Ord, left for U.K. on retirement.
8 to 13 May Test mobilisation exercise.
3 June Parade to celebrate the birthday of H.M. King George V.
22 June Coronation of Their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary.
11 December Lt.-Colonel McKerrell retired on retired pay.
12 December Lt.-Colonel H. L. Henderson assumed command of 1st Battalion.
Imtarfa Barracks, Malta.
18 January Battalion moved to St. Andrew's Barracks.
24 to 27 March Visit of Their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary.
1 to 6 April Annual Highland Games.
9 to 12 April Test mobilisation exercise.
15 to 20 April Malta Command Rifle Meeting.
29 May to 2 June Defence Conference in Malta.
1 June Joint Navy and Army Review.
23 November Final Inspection by Brigadier-General G. Egerton, C.B.
24 November Last Sermon by Rev. Donald Morrison.
29 November Farewell Inspection by H.E. Sir Leslie Rundle. Battalion embarked in "H.T. Dongola" and sailed for Bombay.
2 December Port Said and passage through the Suez Canal.
7 December Aden. Exchange of messages with Middlesex Regiment.
12 to 13 December Arrival and disembarkation in Bombay. Headquarters and four companies entrained for Dinapore, the remaining (four companies) moved to Dum Dum under Major R. C. Gore.
Bihar State, north east India, on the River Ganges
Dum Dum
Dinapore and Dum Dum, India.
1 January Proclamation parade at Dinapore.
31 January Inspection of Dum Dum Wing by G.O.C. Northern Army.
12 February Inspection of Dinapore Wing by G.O.C. Presidency Brigade.
22 to 27 February Highland Brigade Gathering at Agra.
27 February Inspection of Dinapore Wing by Lt.-General Sir B. T. Mahon, commanding 8th (Lucknow) Division.
8 July Inspection of Dum Dum Wing by G.O.C. 8th (Lucknow) Division.
28 November to 3 December Dinapore Wing in camp at Bankipore for visit of H.E. the Viceroy.
Dum Dum
Dinapore and Dum Dum,India.
6 January Dacca concentration opened. H.Q. and two companies from Dinapore, two companies from Dum Dum.
19 January Demonstration march through Dacca.
15 February H.E. Lord Carmichael, Governor of Bengal, reviewed the troops at Dacca.
23 February Concentration ended.
23 to 27 February Highland Brigade Gathering at Agra.
27 April Lt.-Colonel Henderson proceeded on leave. Major R. C. Gore assumed command.
5 May Death of His Grace the Duke of Argyll, K.T. Battalion in mourning until 1st June.
30 June H.R.H. The Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll, appointed Colonel-in-Chief of The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders by her nephew, King George V.
4 August Great Britain declared war on Germany.
7 September Lt.-Colonel Henderson returned from leave and resumed command.
28 September warning order to proceed home.
September 29 Lt.-Colonel H. L. Henderson published Special Order warning Battalion to prepare for active service.
10 October Dum Dum Wing entrained for Bombay.
11 October Dinapore Wing entrained for Bombay.
14 October Battalion embarked in "H.T. Saturnia".
30 October Convoy arrived in Suez.
1 November Convoy arrived in Port Said.
8 to 12 November Convoy at Gibraltar.
17 November Convoy arrived at Plymouth.
19 November Disembarkation. Entrainment for and arrival at Winchester.
20 November to 17 Dec at Winchester, leave, preparations for service overseas.
17 December Battalion, as part of 81st Brigade, 27th Division, reviewed by H.M. King George V.
19 December Battalion embarked in H.T. Novian for Havre.
20 December Battalion entrained for Aire.
Click for details of all the Battalions formed during WW1
Salonika (Thessaloniki)
Aire, Flanders - formed part of 81st Brigade, 27th Division.
1 January Battalion inspected by Field-Marshal Sir John French and General Sir H. Smith-Dorrien.
6 January Battalion marched to Fletre en route for trenches.
7 January march continued to Dickebusch.
10 January Battalion moved into the trenches, relieving 4th Battalion The Rifle Brigade in the support line.
12 January Death of Major-General J. E. Boyes, C.B., Colonel of the Regiment. Major-General Alexander Wilson, C.B., appointed Colonel of the Regiment.
16 January Battalion relieved P.P.C.L.I. in front line.
26 January Lt.-Colonel Henderson admitted to hospital. Captain H. M. Thomson assumed command.
10 February Draft of 2 officers and 151 Other Ranks from 4th Battalion.
18 February Reconnaissance by Captain D. M. Porteous.
20 February Major H. B. Kirk assumed command.
25 February Draft of 117 Other Ranks arrived from India.
13 March Drafts from 3rd and 4th Battalions joined 1st Battalion.
14 March Explosion of mine under St. Eloi mound.
21 March Brigadier-General B. M. Croker succeeded Brigadier-General D. A. McFarlane in command of 81st Brigade.
27 March Reconnaissance party moved to new sector east of Ypres.
1 April Inspection at Zevecoton by General Sir H. Smith-Dorrien.
4 April Battalion left Dickebusch and marched to Ypres. Took over new line from the French, Headquarters set-up at Glencorse Wood.
4 to 11 April Alternate trench tours and rest billets in Ypres.
12 April Battalion left Ypres for trench tour of thirty-six days.
15 April Warning received that attack on Ypres salient was imminent and that gas would be used.
18 April Ypres bombarded by 17-inch Howitzers.
21 April Shops and cafes closed and inhabitants left city of Ypres.
22 April Opening of Second Battle of Ypres. French troops attacked. Germans use gas. 27th Division hold right of Corps sector.
23 April Warning that short withdrawal may be necessary.
3 May withdrawal to Sanctuary Wood.
4 May Patrols regained contact with Germans.
8 May Very heavy bombardment of front-line positions. Battalion moved north to make contact with P.P.C.L.I. Battalion came under command of the 80th Brigade and occupied trenches south of Menin Road. Two companies occupied and strengthened Railway Wood. Two companies filled the gap between P.P.C.L.I. and the 28th Division.
9 May Captain D. M. Porteous, D.S.O., killed by stray bullet.
10 May 'D' Company, after effecting repairs, occupied badly sited trench but were withdrawn later owing to heavy shelling. 'B' and 'C' Companies ordered to move up from G.H.Q. line.
11 May Headquarters in Hooge Chateau. Gas used against 'B' Company. Lt.-Colonel Campbell, 2nd Camerons, wounded. Lt.-Colonel Kirk assumed command of the line.
12 May Quiet day. Battle appeared to be subsiding.
13 May Final German effort against cavalry north of Menin Road. A counter-attack re-took lost ground.
15 May News of relief.
18 May 19th Hussars relieved 1st A. & S.H.
19 May Battalion marched to Vlamertinghe via Ypres and thence to bivouac area north of Heksken. Sir John French addressed the 81st Brigade.
19 to 24 May at rest in bivouacs.
21 May Major A. Elphinston joined and assumed appointment of Second-in-Command.
23 May Lt. A. McD. Ritchie and Lt. H. R. H. Greenfield rejoined the 1st Battalion.
24 May Heavy German bombardment and gas attack on front line. Battalion moved forward and gave support.
28 May Battalion pulled out of the salient and marched with 81st Brigade to Bailleul. Battalion billeted at Le Petit Mortier. Reconnaissance parties visited the trenches held by The Buffs which were to be taken over the following night. Visited by 10th Battalion.
29 May Battalion continued march to Armentieres headed by the pipe band 10th Battalion. Met and played into the town by pipe band 2nd Battalion. Relief of Buffs completed. 2nd Battalion now immediately on right of 1st Battalion.
30 May Interchange of visits by officers and men 1st and 2nd Battalions.
6 June Draft of 150 Other Ranks arrived.
11 June Officers 1st and 2nd Battalions lunched together. Photograph of the Regular officers of both battalions taken.
1 August Lt.-Colonel H. L. Henderson rejoined the Battalion after an absence of six months.
16 August G.O.C. III Corps inspected the Battalion.
19 September 27th Division entrained at Hazebrouck for Somme area.
20 September Battalion in billets, Lamotte-en-Santerre.
23 September Battalion inspected by Commander of Third Army.
28 September Lt.-Colonel H. B. Kirk left to assume command of a brigade.
8 October Battalion relieved Gloucestershire Regiment in the trenches.
20 October Battalion relieved and marched to billets at Chuignolles.
27 October Battalion marched to billets at Bougainville, 11 miles west of Amiens.
3 November Lt.-Colonel H. L. Henderson assumed temporary command 81st Brigade and returned to Battalion on the 15th November.
16 November Battalion marched to billets at Revelles.
24 November Battalion marched to Longeau and entrained for Marseilles.
26 November Battalion at Marseilles.
27 November Embarkation. Two companies under Major Elphinston in "H.T. Ionian", remainder in "H.T. Transylvania".
28 November Sailed for Toulon.
2 December Convoy off Malta.
4 December Convoy at Mudros.
5 December Convoy arrived Salonika and entered inner harbour on the 6th December.
12 December 'C' and 'D' Companies under Major Elphinston disembarked.
13 December Remainder disembarked. All proceeded to Lembet Camp.
14 December Battalion moved to Monastir Road Camp and came under orders of the Base Commandant.
30 December Air-raid on Camps and Depots.
31 December Raid by British and French on enemy consulates in Salonika.
Balkan War - Salonika was the base for Allied operations in the Turkish Straits
3 to 19 January Battalion moved to the Birdcage via Hortiack to Langabuk.
21 January Battalion occupied perimeter defences in the Verenos sector.
February to May Work on perimeter defences.
May 25 Brigadier-General R. F. Widdington appointed G.O.C. 81st Brigade.
31 May Bulgarians crossed the Greek frontier.
4 June Allies declared martial law in Salonika.
9 June Gaps in wire closed to prevent passage of arms to the north. Birdcage defences completed.
16 to 20 June 81st Brigade moved to Stavros.
20 June to July 30 at Stavros.
1 August Extra mules and pack saddlery issued. 81st Brigade moved to Struma valley.
27 August Battalion arrived Mirova and came under command 28th Division.
28 August Battalion moved to Paprat under command 85th Brigade.
29 August Roumania declared war on Austria.
29 August to 25 Sept Construction of new defence line on River Struma.
17 September Farewell message from General Marshall on leaving to command a Corps.
27 September Battalion left Paprat to rejoin 27th Division.
28 September Battalion arrived Kilo 60 Salonika-Seres road.
29 September Preparations for attack on Bala and Zir. Battalion moved to Kilo 68.
30 September Battalion crossed Struma and rested on north bank until zero hour. 5.30 a.m. Attack launched, 1st A. & S.H. in support. 10.30 a.m. Gloucesters and Camerons took Bala and consolidated. 11.30 a.m. 1st A. & S.H. with 1st Royal Scots in support launched attack on Zir. 12 noon. Attack held up by heavy rifle and machine-gun fire.
All further attempts to advance failed. 4.50 p.m. 1st Royal Scots with elements of 1st A. & S.H. renewed attack on Zir after further heavy bombardment. Attack succeeded. Moved to Macedonia.
30 September to 1 October Series of Bulgarian counter-attacks.
2 October Violent counter-attack continued all night and finally defeated 7 a.m.
3 October 81st Brigade line reorganised. Battalion sector Bala-Zir.
5 October Lt.-Colonel H. L. Henderson appointed O.C. Reinforcements Salonika Army. Lt.-Colonel A. Elphinston assumed command.
9 October 81st Brigade occupied Kristian Kamila and Homondos.
30 October Demonstrations against Seres-Kavakli line.
3 November 2nd Gloucestershire Regiment left brigade. Replaced by Scottish Horse. 'H' Line organised and occupied.
1 January to 15 March Trench routine and patrolling.
20 March Work on new '0' line started.
21 April '0' line completed.
25 April '0' line occupied by Royal Scots.
5 May 1st A. & S.H. occupied '0' line. Demonstrations to assist operations Doiran-Lake Vardar front.
31 April Zir-Kristian-Homondos line abandoned. Brigade withdrew to foothills six miles south of Struma. Skeleton force retained river line and bridgeheads.
June to October Battalion suffered a toll of malaria. Training, patrolling, recreation.
17 June Enemy occupied Homondos.
12 October 'A' Company occupied Bala-Zir.
13 October H.Q. 'B' and 'D' Companies entered Kristian. Lt.-Colonel A. Elphinston relinquished command of Battalion. Major A. R. G. Wilson assumed temporary command.
14 October Camerons and Scottish Horse attacked and recaptured Homondos. 154 prisoners taken.
17 October Battalion moved to Mekes in divisional reserve.
18 October Lt.-Colonel R. R. Forbes, D.S.O., rejoined and assumed command. New winter line ready for occupation.
29 December Leave party left for U.K.
9 February Battalion represented Infantry of Division at inspection by H.M. King of Greece.
15 March Raid on Link Wood by 'A' Company (Captain J. C. Cunningham).
19 March Raid on Scots Crossing by 'C' Company (Captain A. McD. Ritchie).
14 April Reoccupation of Homondos '0' line. Demonstrations.
22 April Attachment officers and N.C.Os. 3rd Battalion 4th Greek Regiment.
30 April Greek battalion took over river line for twenty-four hours.
1 May Battalion moved to summer camp on Kopaci Spur.
2 May 4th Greek Regiment took over 81st Brigade line in its entirety.
May to June In corps reserve, training on Kopaci Spur.
24 May Major A. R. G. Wilson left for France to command a battalion.
11 June Scottish Horse left 8ist Brigade, which was reduced to three battalions.
15 to 17 June Battalion on stand-by in anticipation of Bulgarian attack.
17 June Warning order to move to Vardar front.
22 June Transport left for new front.
1 to 3 July Battalion moved to Vardar front via Kilo 69, Salonika-Seres road and Guvezne.
4 to 5 July Reconnaissance of sector to be taken over from 2nd Battalion l48th French Regiment, known as Eperon sector.
6 July Battalion took over from the French, two companies forward, one in battalion and one in brigade reserve.
7 to 31 July Intensive patrolling of new sector.
6 August Preliminary discussions concerning the forthcoming attack on enemy outpost line.
9 August Intensive patrolling of area to be attacked.
13 August Conference decided Le Crochet at east end of line will be included in new outpost line. Responsibility 1st Royal Scots.
2 September Attack on new outpost line commenced.
3 September Attack went according to plan. New outpost line established and contact made with 1st Royal Scots (right) and 2nd Camerons (left).
6 September Raid on trench Ferdinand in main enemy line by two platoons of 'B' Company.
15 September Franco-Serbian attack on Monastir front and Bulgarian lines of communication started.
18 September British attacks to prevent withdrawal of Bulgarian troops to seal the gap made by Franco-Serbian attacks.
21 September Signs of Bulgarian withdrawal.
22 September At 1.30 a.m. patrols found the enemy had withdrawn from main trench system at Mam de Dzeovo. Occupied by 'A' and 'B' Companies.
22 September 2.30 a.m. 'C' Company occupied Guevgueli. 3 a.m. 'D' Company occupied Casernes Turques. Battalion entered Serbian territory.
23 September R.A.F. took up the pursuit.
24 September 81st Brigade entered Pardonica.
26 September 81st Brigade crossed the Vardar and occupied Bogdanci.
27 September 81st Brigade occupied Dedeli.
29 September 81st Brigade entered Bulgaria and occupied Izlis. 81st Brigade became 81st composite regiment under command of Lt.-Colonel Forbes, D.S.O.
30 September 7.45 a.m. Wire received announcing end of hostilities with Bulgaria.
30 September at Izlis, NW of Doiran, Macedonia part of 81st Brigade, 27th Division.
1 October Special Order of the Day by Major-General G. Forestier-Walker, C.B., Commanding 27th Division.
4 October Special Order of the Day by General Sir G. F. Milne, K.C.B., D.S.O., Commander-in-Chief British Salonika Forces.
6 October Composite regiment disbanded. Battalions resumed their own identities.
16 October Brigade commenced march to Adrianople. First day, Kosturino to Strumitza.
31 October After daily marches Battalion arrived Dupnitza, north of Kresna Pass.
1 November Battalion marched sixteen miles to Klisura.
2 November Announcement of armistice with Turkey.
3 November Battalion returned to Dupnitza.
4 November Transport by march route to Marianopolje at head of Rupel Pass.
5 November Battalion entrained for Marianopolje.
13 November Brigade returned to Guveszne after covering 215 miles by road in six weeks.
16 November Battalion entrained for Sarigeui and on arrival commenced work on permanent camp site.
3 December Battalion warned to move to Constantinople for guard and ceremonial duties with General Headquarters.
13 December Battalion entrained for Salonika and embarked in "H.T. Norman2. Link with 81st Brigade 37th Division severed after more than four years' service with these formations.
15 December "H.T. Norman" passed through the Dardanelles.
16 December Arrival at Constantinople.
18 December Disembarkation and march to billets in E'cole Militaire headed by bands of R.M.L.I. and 2nd Middlesex Regiment.
19 December Two officers and 35 other ranks left for Baku.
31 December Strength of Battalion 20 officers, 373 other ranks.
13 January First demobilisation party (59 miners) embark for U.K.
February to April Further demobilisation parties leave for U.K.
7 February Guard of Honour, 100 other ranks, under Captain D. A. Mackay for Generals Sir Edmund Allenby and Sir Henry Wilson.
8 February Similar Guard of Honour for General Franchet D'Esperey, Commander-in-Chief Allied Forces.
30 April Battalion strength reduced to 27 officers, 100 other ranks.
7 May Lt.-Colonel J. C. Cunningham, M.C., posted to command 12th A. & S.H, 24 other ranks 1st A. & S.H. transferred to 12th A. & S.H. Moved to Glasgow then to Poona.
12 May 1st A. & S.H. reduced to cadre strength: 6 officers, 18 W.Os. and N.C.Os., 23 privates under command Lt. (A/Major) R. A. Murray.
24 May Cadre embarked for U.K.
3 June Cadre arrived Taranto.
10 June Cadre arrived Boulogne.
14 June Cadre arrived Maryhill Barracks, Glasgow, and joined foreign service details.
16 June Cadre proceeded to Kinross for dispersal.

11 April Foreign service details assembled at Depot and moved to Shorncliffe under Major J. R. Couper.
2 May Captain C. B. Robertson, M.C., resumed duties as Adjutant.
25 May Foreign service details moved to Maryhill Barracks, Glasgow Strength 16 officers, 243 other ranks.
26 May Lt.-Colonel W. J. B. Tweedie, C.M.G., joined and assumed command.
4 June Major A. W. R. Sprot, D.S.O., rejoined.
14 June Cadre from Constantinople arrived in Glasgow.
16 June Cadre proceeded to Kinross for dispersal. The Foreign service details become 1st Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
18 May Captain J. H. Young, D.S.O., M.C., rejoined the Battalion.
18 May First post-war dinner of Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders Dinner Club held at Hyde Park Hotel. Letter from H.R.H. The Princess Louise.
19 May H.R.H. The Princess Louise received the Colour Party at Kensington Palace and handed back the Colours. Colour Party: Captain and Adjutant C. B. Robertson, M.C., and Lt. G. F. Maclean, M.C.
20 May Colour Party arrived Glasgow. Received by escort under Captain J. H. Young, D.S.O., M.C. At Maryhill Barracks the Colours were received by the battalion on parade.
23 May Peace treaties signed.
25 May Battalion inspected by General Officer Commanding Scottish Command.
14 July Victory march in Paris. Battalion represented by Colour Party (Lt. G. F. Maclean, M.C., Lt. G. D. Todd, M.C., and three other ranks).
17 June advance party (Captain J. H. Young, D.S.O., M.C., Lt. M. P. Lothian, M.C., and 20 other ranks) left for India.
19 June Victory march in London. Same Colour Party as for Paris represented Battalion. Nine pipers, six drummers formed part of massed bands under Major A. W. R. Sprot, D.S.O.
4 August Victory march in Glasgow. Battalion marched past the Lord Provost.
29 August Lt.-Colonel H. H. G. Hyslop, D.S.O., posted to command, vice Lt.-Colonel W. J. B. Tweedie, C.M.G.
22 September H.R.H. The Princess Louise paid a farewell visit to the Battalion.
26 September Railway strike throughout the United Kingdom. Battalion found picquets at main railway stations.
6 October Strike settled by arbitration. Troops returned to barracks.
7 October 2nd Battalion marched to Maryhill for reunion with 1st Battalion.
October 24 Battalion warned to be ready to embark for India on or about 3rd November.
5 November Battalion entrained at Maryhill.
6 November Battalion embarked at Southampton in "H.T. Braemar Castle".
17 November "H.T. Braemar Castle" arrived at Port Said. Change of station in India announced.
30 November Battalion disembarked at Bombay and entrained for Kirkee. Moved to Poona.
1920IndiaPoona 1 January Proclamation parade, Poona.
3 to 10 January Battalion moved to Bombay on strike duty.
10 February Strike duties completed. Battalion returned to Poona and took over Wanowri Barracks.
27 May Lt.-Colonel H. H. G. Hyslop, D.S.O., assumed temporary command of Poona Brigade. Major A. W. R. Sprot, D.S.O., assumed command of Battalion vice Lt.-Colonel Hyslop.
28 June Captain C. B. Robertson, M.C., gave evidence before post-war dress committee at Simla.
26 July Durbar held by H.E. the Governor of Bombay in the Council Chamber, Poona. Guard of Honour commanded by Captain and Brevet Major A. R. G. Wilson, D.S.O.
28 July Major A. B. Thorburn arrived and assumed temporary command of Battalion.
6 September 'A' and 'B' Companies under Major A. W. R. Sprot, D.S.O., proceeded to Ahmednagar to relieve 2nd Gloucestershire Regiment.
1 October Captain J. H. Young, D.S.O., M.C., assumed duties of Adjutant vice Captain C. B. Robertson, M.C.
19 November Farewell message from General Sir C. C. Monro on vacating the appointment of Commander-in-Chief, India.
22 November Inspection by General Lord Rawlinson, new Commander-in-Chief, India.

Design by IT-SERVE © 1999 - 2021 All Rights Reserved Back to Top