THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
1. Do not take the name of thy sergeants in vain
- lest thou be called upon to repent amongst the dirty dishes in their Mess.
2. Honour thy Pay Book and thy quarter bloke throughout thy service
- so that thy credits may be as the sands of the desert.
3. Do not half inch thy comrades' kit
- lest thy sins be thrust upon you by the swiftness of the hand that blacks the eye.
4. Do not skive or swing the lead
- lest thou be caught and have to do the penance of RPs.
5. Never tell untruths about thy comrades
- lest they put the bubble in.
6. Do not squander thy wealth on sinful things
- like booze and birds.
7. Worship the ground that thy OC treads on
- lest his wrath descends upon you when summoned to his presence.
8. Never kill the cook if he grieves thee, nor smite his thigh.
- Thou wilt put thy complaint through the normal channels
- where thou shall expect little and receive even less.
9. Never be found out.
- But if thou art,
- do not spill the beans.
10. Six days shall thou labour, and on the seventh thou shall labour twice as hard
- to bring upon the faces of thy brasses and boots a shine of exceeding brightness.